How to Tension a Chain on an Over Under Conveyor
- Post By : Emily Minton
- October 14, 2021
- No Comments on How to Tension a Chain on an Over Under Conveyor
A properly tensioned chain on an over under conveyor is important for making sure that the conveyor runs properly and avoids jamming. This preventative maintenance is crucial to avoid unnecessary down time that may occur because of a jam.
This blog will explain the process of how to tension the chain on an over under conveyor.
HOW TO KNOW WHEN CHAIN IS LOOSE
When a chain is loose, there is slack around the sprocket. A properly tightened chain will have no slack.
STEPS FOR TENSIONING CHAIN
*BEFORE WORKING ON THE CONVEYOR MAKE SURE THE CONVEYOR IS TURNED OFF, FOLLOWING PROPER LOCKOUT/TAGOUT (LOTO) PROCEDURE*
- Remove guarding from the end of the conveyor
- Loosen the bolts next to the spring
- Tighten the bolt closest to the spring until chain has proper tension.
- Proper tension = no slack in chain
- Move the other bolt back and tighten both to lock the spring into place
- Repeat the entire process on the other side so the chain tension is equal on both sides
- Replace the guarding
- Turn the conveyor back on and cycle through to ensure proper reassembly
Zeta Group Engineering is a robotic integrator and conveyor manufacturer based in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Check out our other blogs!